Borsenkow Andrej <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

> >>What initrd? I speak about LV with root filesystem. You cannot shutdown it
> >>until is unmounted. And it is never unmounted (at least, not in any
> >>initscript).
> >>
> > With the new mkinitrd, the initscripts will try to umount the initrd
> > (located in /initrd) as third or fourth message after init booted.
> > (disable aurora to see it well).
> >

> There is some misunderstanding. I speak about *system*shutdown*. Not about
> unmounting initrd - here you have no problems. When system shuts down it
> deactivates LVM. It does not work for root device because it is busy.

yep, but i thought that a still mounted initrd could be the cause of the
busyness.

> > (what do you mean by "tinylibc"?)
> >

> I've read about it in your description of stage1, may be I forgot the
> exact name, sorry. There was comparison how much stage1 takes with glibc
> and with another, apparently stripped down, libc. This was called tiny
> libc IIRC.

ok. this is "dietlibc". i thought you were refering to something else
unknown to me.

> > Anyway, it appears to me like big headache for a seldom use.
> >

> Well, this was intended for Brian in the first place as he had problems
> with rooting on LVM and I hoped it may help. I guess he had reasons to
> implement it. Actualy, there is not much headache and I guess it would be
> very interesting for enterprise server.

by headache i mean incompat with mkbootdisk use and use of very large
binaries/libraries.

i still think that / is not so very important and one can use whatever
partition he wants for /usr, /var, /home, etc.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/