Borsenkow Andrej <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

>  > Why have you quoted mkrootdev?
>  >

> I did not know what it does. Besides, I suspect that for LVM you can't
> use device numbers, you have to use real names. Numbers are assigned
> dynamically when volume group is configured; if we rely on vgscan it may
> find another VG first, so minor number will be wrong.

With LVM, once started, do you use "mount" with a device file or something
else?

AFAIK, if you want to use the mount syscall from the kernel (and i don't
know any other mean to mount a filesystem) you need to use a device file
and a mount point.

>  > So now you tell that it doesn't work... it's inconsistent. Does it work
> or
>  > not ?
>  >

> I say that there are open issues if you want to use it in real life.

ok.

[...]

>  >>2. If you have really many volumes - is it possible that there will be no
>  >>space in ramdisk to create cofig files? Is it possible to limit scan to
>  >>specific group only (i.e. tell vgscan to *not* create configuration for
>  >>other groups). Or better yet do something like
>  >>
>  >>vgscan | vgchange :-)
>  >>
>  >
>  > no idea, i don't understand the pb
>  >
> vgscan creates LVM coniguration files in /etc. Currently I have one PV,
> one VG and one LV. The size of config is:
>
> {pts/2}% ll /etc/lvmtab.d
> ????? 148 -rw-r-----    1 root     root       150840 ???  8 23:45 VG
>
> And if I have 100 groups? It is almost 10MB if I calculate correctly.

10 Megabytes???

waooh.

>  >>3. You cannot shutdown root volume but that's probably just cosmetic
>  >>(warning on shutdown). May be sensible to filter root VG from shutdown.
>  >>
>  >
>  > is the initrd getting umounted gracefully?
>  >

> What initrd? I speak about LV with root filesystem. You cannot shutdown it
> until is unmounted. And it is never unmounted (at least, not in any
> initscript).

With the new mkinitrd, the initscripts will try to umount the initrd
(located in /initrd) as third or fourth message after init booted.
(disable aurora to see it well).

[...]

>  >>4. We need static versions of vgchange and vgscan of course.
>  >>
>  >
>  > the problem is that it will be large -> fscking the boodisks :-(.
>
> Well ... just how large? May be, it is possible to link them agains
> tinylibc? Or probably make custom tools that do the same.

(what do you mean by "tinylibc"?)

Anyway, it appears to me like big headache for a seldom use.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/