----- Original Message -----
From: "Pixel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 7:08 AM
Subject: Re: [Cooker] Beta 3 install bug
<snip>
> - when you don't choose MBR installation, i can't switch bioses as i don't
> know which drive is first.
> - when you choose MBR installation, i suppose the system will boot on it
and
> it will be the first bios drive (0x80)

But it was the MBR installation that didn't work...  Here's how I installed.

I have an onboard raid IDE, which doesn't work with Linux, so I *disabled*
it in the bios.

The "other" drive, which now looks like the only IDE on the system has a
Linux type 85 (ext3?) partition AND a Windoze Fat32 partition.  The
installer doesn't like that at all, so I used your previous advice of
booting with "linux readonly=1".

When I choose MBR, it refused and gave me the "TABLE not allowed" error.
When I choose the Linux partition, it put it there, but then I had to move
it because BootCommander (which boots from the raid drive) doesn't recognize
the new partition type.

So, has any more thought been given to not using the linux extended
partition (or at least having the option not to use it)?

-Jason