On Sat, 2001-09-22 at 08:52, Alexander Skwar wrote:
    So sprach »Borsenkow Andrej« am 2001-09-22 um 13:37:23 +0400 :
    > Dropping updates for all old releases rigth after the new release
    > becomes
    > available is sick.  It makes me want to switch to some other distro or

    Well, how do the others like RedHat and SuSE do this?  Do they have
    official updates for old distributions which add functionality and not
    just fix security issues?

They have a basically have one of three methods.  You can stay on the
installed release and get security updates, upgrade to a new
distribution version via re-installation, or stay up-to-date using their
"rawhide" image.  Since the "rawhide" is exactly the same concept as
"cooker", their methodology is the same.  One difference was the
"contrib" channel.  This was a place where providers (more official type
persons) could place new versions of software compiled to work with a
given distribution's "base" libraries.  I don't know if it still
exists.  I couldn't find it the other day while trying to update a
package on my RedHat machine.

So.... it's very similar to Mandrake.  I just happen to like the
Mandrake community a little better, and I think they do a better job
working with those who are "average users" and those hardened users,
like me, who sometimes want to act like "average users".

--
TTFN,
Lonnie Borntreger

Our mission is to authoritatively promote timely methods of
empowerment so that we may endeavor to collaboratively supply
inexpensive opportunities to exceed customer expectations