On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:

> I don't think that pango requiring glib 1.3.* is much of a problem; it
> won't be widely deployed and used on systems without it.
>
> Now, if the next version allows compiling without it, then that would
> solve your problem when it will be included in cooker (I saw the announce of
> the new version, but the 8.1 was already in deep freeze).
> Note however that the pre-compiled rpm package of pango will still link
> with glib 1.3.*, as it is needed by the gtk+ 1.3.* lib (and that is it's main
> reason of including it: testing the new gtk (and it may be already useful
> for some people)).

Hmmm, can pango be linked without glib 1.3.x at all!?

Anyway it is discussing whether fribidi must be linked with glib 1.3.x;
currently it must be the case (otherwise pango refuses to use external
fribidi library). But for newer pango, it is another story; pango 0.20
(dunno for older versions) includes a mini-fribidi library, so that
external fribidi is just optional. Actually including external fribidi
won't work without patching; filed a bug report+patch in bugzilla, but
nobody has taken care of it yet.

Abel