David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

> I modified to files for the Masquerading, I think i should have only done
> the second one. Doesn't this kernel use iptables and not ipchains?

So that if you ever reboot with 2.2 it will still work.

[...]

> In rc.firewall.inet_sharing-2.4 I changed only Masquerade and not forward.

Why?

> Not sure if I should have done forward yet though.
>
> # In the NAT table (-t nat), Append a rule (-A) after routing (POSTROUTING)
> # which says to MASQUERADE the connection (-j MASQUERADE).
> /sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.2/24 -j MASQUERADE
>
> # Allows forwarding specifically to our LAN
> /sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j ACCEPT

> I can figure this out since I got the internet sharing working now, but
> what happened after I modified these and rebooted was weird. The Gnome
> Desktop had Nautilus Icons on it. The preferences for Nautilus in
> Preferences/Windows & Desktop had an option to use Nautilus to draw the
> desktop or use your home folder. I wrote up a bug #4735 that that choice
> would disappear under a certain circumstance. Well I have another now,
> cause after doing this above it disappeared again and the desktop icons
> are just paper icons that don't work. Can't change it back either cause
> the selection in preferences is gone. Have to recreate the user or
> something. Maybe when I put rc.firewall.init_sharing-2.2 back to original
> and only modify 2.4 it will work again. We'll see.

It's highly unprobable to me.

> Two more things:
>
> Do you have to run the connection sharing wizard on both computers to get
> it to work. I did, but it made my 192.168.0.2 address to 192.168.0.1 and I

Of course not. Please read message at the end of drakgw (if someone has
an idea of a better-meaning message, I take it).

"You may now share Internet connection with other computers on your Local
Area Network, using automatic network configuration (DHCP)."

> had to change it back manually. I think you only need to run it on the one
> connected, but wasn't sure since it wasn't working because:
>
> Shouldn't the connection wizard (maybe a wishlist) as for addresses that
> are allowed to share, that way it would be necessary to manually do it
> like I had to?

It had been decided that we should not provide an expert mode in which you
may choose the private network you wanna use.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/