On Fri, 9 Nov 2001 08:26, you wrote:
> Yes, but what I meant with one place was to make some kind of
> My Control Center, where the user could easily find everything
> without searching for an hour or two..
>
> >> shortcuts to different configuration applications like Gnome Control
> >> Center, Print Queue, etc, etc..
> >
> > ??? i d'ont understand. On the desktop ? noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
>
> No, not desktop. I mean something like Mandrake Control Center but
> for a user. Mandrake is very nice distribution as long as you have
> the root privileges. But if you try to use Mandrake as a normal
> user, it's just horrible. How to change your language, photo,
> password? They are very hard to find from menu (because most of
> the configuration tools need root privileges) if they can be found
> at all (<Ctrl> + <Alt> + +/-). Even I don't try to find some
> configuration tool from the menu, because it's much faster to
> run it directly from a terminal. My Control Panel would fix this
> together with Mandrake Control Center if they are both well made.

Your point is well made, from a single-user perspective.

In this case, access to what are essentially (in a *nix world) administrative
functions, are somewhat hidden and require root access for many.

However, I feel you are missing the point somewhat, inasmuch as any *nix
system is really designed for multi-user and multilayer security, integrated
into a network. Sure, we could allow all and sundry the ability to change
their gdm/xdm 'face' or whatnot, but in a lab full of budding hackers, or a
company environment, I for one wouldn't want to be the administrator!!!

Perhaps there is another way forward, without breaking the security model
which (though I may occasionally curse it) I have come to value over any MS
Garbage on offer - how about a sudo wizard on install?

Haven't thought my way through this one yet, but it would appear to be
exactly what sudo is designed for....

just a thought
--
john in syd