> Any chance of doing something with the pcmcia code so that when a
pcmcia
> ide controller is detected that it reloads the ide-scsi module?

It won't help if module is busy anyway.

As far as
> know, it shouldn't hurt anything if the module is NOT needed, but will
> allow
> using ide-scsi on drives with pcmcia card controllers.

The real fix must go into ide-cs driver. I briefly looked into it at the
problem is, ide-cs must interface with two subsystems - IDE and SCSI.
While I know how to do it for IDE subsystem (I even suspect it is
already handled correctly) I am at lost how to initiate rescan for SCSI
subsystem.

Note that you actually need possibly to rescan for both HA and devices
on this HA. And it is not a hot plug case (that is more or less clear)
because you do not know target ID/LUN in advance. Actually, ide-scsi
driver is missing hot plug routines as well, but they do not seem to be
used in current code anyway.

I.e. it is not trivial task; it requires some kernel code rewrite and
device to test code on. I would do it if I had any PCMCIA card and
drive. Sorry :(

-andrej