Andrej,

        Thank you for clarifying the issue for me.  I've never understood why this
never worked.  The machine I'm using doesn't have a real SCSI controller -
just a pcmcia CD-RW and built-in DVD, both of which use ide-scsi, and a zip
drive, which does that printer-port scsi thing.

        I HAVE done the modprobe -r ide-scsi  / modprobe ide-scsi thing without any
problem, with one drive using the internal ide controller and one using the
pcmcia one, and it worked fine.

        I realize the right (tm) way to fix this is to fix the drivers, but how hard
would it be to reload the ide-scsi driver as part of the card recognition ?
It's extremely unlikely that a laptop is going to be using a scsi controller,
or that a desktop machine or server is going to be using a pcmcia controller
to run ide-scsi devices.  Doesn't the ide-scsi driver look for what slots are
open when it loads?

        Can the loading / unloading be put in the pcmcia ide startup script?  I
think I tried to do something along those lines once, but didn't get very far
- even though doing this manually worked.  (Means I don't program shell
scripts worth shit, probably )

        I'd be happy to test any code - have two different laptops and can try on
both.   (or if you really get bored and feel like doing all the re-writing -
I can loan you the drive and controller)

        Regards,

        Vinny