Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> PAM in 8.1 isnt set to use MD5, therefore users can have passwords >8chars
> but u can login using only the 1st 8.

  Mmmm...I just tried this...I have a 14char password and tried
  logging in at a console with just the first 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13
  chars...none of them worked. Had to use all 14 chars to log in. And
  I have mdk8.1 with pam-0.75-7mdk and I have *not* changed the line
  you mentioned...this is my file, just as it came from the pam
  package:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password   required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so use_authtok nullok

  So...this "bug" you are seeing comes from something else, probably
  something you did to your configuration.  BTW, security level here
  is medium.

  Vox

--
Pain is the gift of the gods, and I'm the one they chose as their messenger....
For info on safety in the BDSM lifestyle http://www.the-vox.com

Think of the Linux community as a niche economy isolated by its beliefs.  Kind
of like the Amish, except that our religion requires us to use _higher_
technology than everyone else.       -- Donald B. Marti Jr.

Vox populi, vox deii....