On Wed Dec 05, 2001 at 02:29:29PM -0600, Vox wrote:

> > PAM in 8.1 isnt set to use MD5, therefore users can have passwords >8chars
> > but u can login using only the 1st 8.
>
>   Mmmm...I just tried this...I have a 14char password and tried
>   logging in at a console with just the first 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13
>   chars...none of them worked. Had to use all 14 chars to log in. And
>   I have mdk8.1 with pam-0.75-7mdk and I have *not* changed the line
>   you mentioned...this is my file, just as it came from the pam
>   package:
>
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
> account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
> password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
> password   required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so use_authtok nullok
>
>   So...this "bug" you are seeing comes from something else, probably
>   something you did to your configuration.  BTW, security level here
>   is medium.

No, it looks to me like something changed in the installer.  I did
some digging last night and none of the passwd packages we've ever
shipped include the options "md5" or "shadow" to the pam_pwdb.so
module.  However, in all versions up to 8.0, this looks to have been
appended by DrakX during the installation (probably when it asks if
you want md5 and shadow passwords).  That made things work properly in
previous versions.

It doesn't look like this is the case with 8.1 (maybe cooker, haven't
checked, but I suspect it's the same).  DrakX isn't appending this to
the pam_pwdb.so call, so passwd uses normal passwords instead of md5
passwords after the initial install.

For example, users defined during the install are fine.  Users who
post-install change their passwords or new users added to the system
don't have md5 passwords, which is why the password, even if it's 50
characters long, will only require the first 8-9 characters (whatever
the exact number is).

Yes, an update for 8.1's passwd will be out shortly that, by default,
adds "shadow md5" to the pam_pwdb.so module.

--
OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
1024D/FE6F2AFD   88D8 0D23 8D4B 3407 5BD7  66F9 2043 D0E5 FE6F 2AFD

Current Linux kernel 2.4.8-34.1mdk uptime: 17 days 21 hours 46 minutes.