On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, George Mitchell wrote:

{ Denis Pelletier wrote:
{
{ >Hello,
{ >
{ >I installed Cooker (Mandrake 8.1 + upgrade to cooker) on my new Compaq
{ >Presario 700CA laptop and the sound does not work. This laptop is based on
{ >the integrated chipset KN133 (AMD Duron). The sound card is detected and
{ >correctly configured by hardDrake (model VT82C686 [Apollo Super
{ >AC97/Audio] with kernel module via82cxxx_audio). But I can't get any sound
{ >with this laptop.
{ >
{ >This is probably due to the two sound buttons on the laptop (a + and - to
{ >increase/decrease the volume). I guess that something else has to be
{ >activated but what? Has anyone seen something similar?
{
{
{ Assuming you have the line 'alias sound-slot-0 via82cxxx_audio' in your
{ /etc/modules.conf file.  You've checked that, correct?  You might also
{ want to load the kernel docs package.  As I recall there is some info on
{ the sound modules in there somewhere.

Yes I have the correct line in modules.conf. After more digging it
appears that I'm not the only one with this problem. I founded this bug
report on sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=487761&group_id=3242&atid=103242

I also tried the ALSA driver (snd-card-via686a). The result: no sound and
no error message in /var/log/message. And yes I have unmuted everything.

Denis
Denis Pelletier
Étudiant au doctorat
sciences économiques, Université de Montréal