> Also, what is the "synthesis" vs. normal hdlists?  This must be new .
.

It was always there but the ability to use it instead of hdlist is new.

It is stripped down hdlist that contains basically only provides. It is
enough to do dependency resolution. It does not contain all other stuff
like info, changelog, file list etc that are in hdlist.

If you add a source using synthesis you will be able to install but e.g.
urpmf won't work (obviously).

> I have another machine with the Cooker Rsynced mirror and use ProFTP
> server to load the other machines - but after a fresh install,
RPMDRAKE
> is confused and trying to correct it is not easy.

Cooker mirrors are in bad shape currently.