Howdy!
        I know this is a trivial issue, but after installing
*just* xmms, I was unable to apply any of my skins.  At first,
I thought that perhaps the newest version of xmms was having
issues with winamp skins, so I didn't think much of it, and
installed the xmms-skins package, thusly:

# rpm -ivh xmms-skins-1.0.0-12mdk.noarch.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
        unzip is needed by xmms-skins-1.0.0-12mdk

Eureka!  After installing unzip, my skins work fine.
I realize this is quite clear from a look at man xmms:

       UNZIPCMD    Command  for  decompressing zip files (skins).
                   Default is unzip.

but when the unzip command is unvailable, the re-skin operation
fails silently, leaving xmms working just fine, but with the
default skin.  This could frustrate a true newbie, who only
launches xmms from the menu.  (if run from the shell, xmms
complains to stderr:

$ xmms
sh: unzip: command not found

I know that a newbie ending up with a system lacking unzip but
with xmms is relatively unlikely, but one never knows...

--
*Chuck*