On Thursday 20 December 2001 08:53, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
>Geoffrey Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> I think the easiest and most non-intrusive way would be to add a requires
>> for unzip. Ok, that's half a meg of bloat ... well...
>
>I'm strongly against this option, since the problem only appears
>in some non-trivial situations for so-called "experts".

I concur.  I managed to end up with the situation because I
made an installation from an inconsistant local HD mirror.
I experienced a hard disk failure, but my cooker was on a second
hard-drive.  I booted an older cdrom, and used the shell to make
an hd.img floppy, and installed just enough to get the system
back on it's feet since I had no way of knowing which pacakges
were intact.  (HDD failure was in mid-rsysnc with the wtfo mirror)

Once the machine was running, I  installed packages as I needed
them (and I *needed* xmms, as I have no other way to play music
at home than my computer)  This situation is, IMHO, freakishly
unlikely to manifest itself on a new system installed from a
complete mirror.  While I would never claim to be an "expert,"
I can usually figure things out, given enough time, as in this
case.

--
*Chuck*