On Saturday 22 December 2001 01:36 am, Nelson Bartley wrote:
> Heyo,
>
> With the incredable amount of customization of the Mandrake setup, why
> not remove the /usr/local directory from actual existance, and make is a
> sim link to /usr. This has solved SO MANY of my problems when compiling
> software and installing other software which is not packaged for
> Mandrake.

Like?

> I think this would help out not only silly people like me (who didn't
> realize that the /usr/local/ directory structure is a great place for
> files to be put be stupid ./configure scripts) and newbies who don't
> even know what that directory is for.. (seems to strike a cord there
> too).

--prefix=/usr

And newbies should be educated, not coddled.  You certainly wouldn't argue
for the removal of everything else people don't understand, would you?

> Just for my personal reference, what's the point of having the
> /usr/local directory in the current Mandrake setup anyways?

It's standard.  (Well, almost.  You do have the /opt people.)
Separating local programs from the OS is a Good Thing.

--
Bryan C. Warnock
[EMAIL PROTECTED]