On Sat, 2001-12-22 at 21:06, George Mitchell wrote:

> I can only tell you how we used them with Unix.  We would put our local
> stuff in /usr/local and third party vendors would put there stuff in
> /opt.  But in reality, who knows?  They are just two different places to
> put stuff that doesn't come with the system.  Some distributors like

To quote the FHS 2.0 doc:

/opt - Reserved for the installation of add-on application software
packages. (ie: StarOffice)

/usr/local - The /usr/local hierarchy is for use by system admins when
installing software locally. It may be used for programs and data that
are shareable amongst a group of hosts, but not found in /usr.

Typically, /usr/local will be empty after the initial install of a FHS
compliant system and will remain "safe" from being over-written in the
event of a base system upgrade.

The FHS standard can be obtained (text, postcript and dvi formats) at :
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/fhs/ or you can read it online at
http://paradigm.uor.edu/linux/standard/

/usr/local and /opt are both a somewhat gray area in their implentation
in that most distro's don't get their implementation "quite" right. Read
the standard, check out a few distro's and you'll see what I mean.

Hope it helps, Drew.