On Mon Jan 14, 2002 at 04:45:00PM -0800, Ben Reser wrote:

> > I think it's an export issue, not an installation issue, which would
> > make this not feasible.
>
> Vincent,
>
> So if it's an export issue why would you be able to export a SRPM that
> has an option to enable to the full package.  For that matter how can
> you distribute a SRPM that just has a patch to disable the full
> capability.  No matter which one you're still distributing the full
> technology if you're shipping the source.

Hmmm... you have a point.  I guess to fully comply with French law we
could export a dummied-down binary package, but not the source package
which has the full-strength encryption.  Err... wait... this is what
you just said.

> Now you could not ship the SRPM since openssl is a BSD style license but
> that's really not mandrake's style.

Right.  I don't think this is a good idea and would probably piss a
lot of people off.  Of course, the alternative is to not be in full
compliance or not use openssl in the software (the latter not being an
option).

> Frankly I think there is no way to comply with a export restriction
> without a running into some other issue.  At least without jumping
> through a ton of hoops.

I think you're right.  =(

--
MandrakeSoft Security, OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
1024D/FE6F2AFD   88D8 0D23 8D4B 3407 5BD7  66F9 2043 D0E5 FE6F 2AFD

Current Linux kernel 2.4.8-34.1mdk uptime: 4 days 6 hours 1 minutes.