Doing update today I had following case.

Some files were moved from foo-devel (I guess it was libxml2) into
foo-utils. urpmi did not pull foo-devel when installing new version of
foo-utils that resulted in error.

Now I understand that synthesis does not have full file list (and urpmi
cannot duplicate rpm). But could not we check output of rpm so that if
we get

file /some/file from foo-1.2.3 conflicts with file /some/file from
bar-1.2.3

at least /try/ to update bar? Actually that is what urpme does - it just
scans rpm -e output.

Of course the correct solution may be to remove bar :-) at least the
following logic seems possible

- if newer version of bar exists try again with it
- if bar has been removed from distribution ask user to delete it first

Comments?

-andrej