Borsenkow Andrej <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Doing update today I had following case.
>
> Some files were moved from foo-devel (I guess it was libxml2) into
> foo-utils. urpmi did not pull foo-devel when installing new version of
> foo-utils that resulted in error.
>
> Now I understand that synthesis does not have full file list (and urpmi
> cannot duplicate rpm). But could not we check output of rpm so that if
> we get
>
> file /some/file from foo-1.2.3 conflicts with file /some/file from
> bar-1.2.3
>
> at least /try/ to update bar? Actually that is what urpme does - it just
> scans rpm -e output.
>
> Of course the correct solution may be to remove bar :-) at least the
> following logic seems possible
>
> - if newer version of bar exists try again with it
> - if bar has been removed from distribution ask user to delete it first
>
> Comments?

Trying with newer version may help and can be implemented.

Asking for removing a package is simply not implemented, even if it there is
some sugar for it, it is a bit too late to take this feature.

But of course, urpmi should almost do the same as rpm do, it will be much more
possible if transaction will be allowed inside urpmi itself, this is a good
feature for the next (major) release. It will allow reducing multiple rpm call
with repetitive checking that may only be done.

François.