On óÂÔ, 2002-01-26 at 18:00, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Ainsi parlait guran :
> [..]
> > I give up
> > guran
> Don't :-) I think you have the same problem as me, and i still didn't managed
> to fix it. Exact symptoms are:
> - "/dev/dsp doesn't exit" error message when entering a new KDE session
> - fixed by restarting alsa & artsd
> - devfs box
>
> I already submitted this problem to the list also, and it seems to be linked
> to devfsd management of links state. Andrew and Fabrice have suggested me to
> clean /lib/dev-state before any upgrade of kernel/devfsd/initiscript package,
> but that is not enough. I cleaned /lib/dev-state before rebooting into new
> kernel, but problem still there.
>
> Looking into log, i found a maybe-related error message:
> devfsd[68] error calling "symlink" in "GLOBAL"

Well it may be related

Edit rc.sysinit, call devfsd with -t 2 option (should be enough); look
in messages what happens with /dev/snd. Send me messages. Send me ls -lR
/lib/dev-state as well.

It needs to be done on startup to be sure to catch the error.

I repeat - it works here. I would be happy to help but I have zero
problems with stock kernels. I do have problems with kernels I compile
but that's different story.

-andrej