On Sun, 2002-01-27 at 13:29, Gary Chisholm wrote:
> I've tried out 2 CD-RW Drives, one being a Philips CDD-3610 and the
> other being a HP 7200 Series (HP C4380-56000).  This is what I did to
> both and have got no progress:
>
> - I did hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc to turn off dma for this device
> - I added devfs=nomount to lilo.conf and hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc
> - I also echo -n "using_dma:0" > /proc/ide/ide1/hdc/settings and also
> did a hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc to make sure it was off
>
> It starts burning anywhere from the 5meg to 50meg mark using cdrecord,
> then it dies, hard locking the system.
>

> Anyone like a few costers ;)

mmmmmm:
in /etc/lilo.conf:

append=" hdc=ide-scsi devfs=nomount"

it sounds like something isn't right. either devfs is getting turned
off, our your turning dma off on the wrong drive.

do the following to verify that you have the correct device:
# cat /var/log/dmesg |grep hdc

your problem is strikingly similar to still haveing dma turned-on or are
using the devfs still.

also, after checking all the above, try upgrading or downgrading
cdrecord.  then try using a cooker kernel if you're still using 2.4.8 or
something other.

- roger
-----
Verify my pgp/gnupg signature on my HomePage:
http://www.alltel.net/~rogerx/about/index.html