On Wednesday 30 January 2002 15:13, John Kintree wrote:
|   On Tuesday 29 January 2002 15:30, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   > I am interested in your opinions:
|   >  whether LM can be bundled with some networking hardware, and if answer
|   > is "yes", what subset of current LM should be included?
|
|   I like this question.  How about a distribution for installation in a PC
| that is equipped with both an Ethernet card and a wireless card such as the
| Orinoco silver card.  The purpose would be to build a plug-and-play
| router/firewall/caching wireless Access Point.  Some commercial Access
| Points already provide most of those features, but lack the caching Web

just today we installed router/firewall wireless Access Point in our new
office (which is part of product portfolio of the company I am working for)
And indeed, it doesn't have caching capability.
Do you think that caching capability is very important for such device?
And, do you suggest that primary application for LM would be (in your case)
Caching Server?

interesting part in Wireless technology that 802.11a and 802.11g are coming
(in addition to existing 802.11b), and these new technologies, with speed of
36Mbit and 54Mbit, will definitly increase wireless usage.
So most likely we will see a lot of new wireless applications soon.

| server.  LM might be fairly close be being able to provide all of the
| required software support.  The box in which it would be installed should
| have low power consumption because it would be on 24x7.

I have to clarify here that company I am working for is not in Server
business. Anyway, it seems all major server vendors (Compaq, Dell, HP, IBM)
go with "their own way" in server strategy. They are not very much interested
in manufacturing cheap (say, $500-$800) servers, especially at 1U
rack-mountable form factor.

I guess many people on the list were installing some White Box servers, and
configuring it for different tasks.
What kind of additional value you will get when you bought, say, managed
switch with some customized version of LM?
Probably, extra routing capabilities may be interesting for layer 2 (cheap)
switch. What can be benefitial for layer 3 switches? Extra possibility to
control bandwidth (say, limit to 128Kbit some 10BaseT port)?

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)