--- tester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Alexander Skwar wrote:
>
> > So sprach »Pixel« am 2002-01-30 um 10:56:20 +0100
> :
> >
> >>remove package "basesystem" and this limitation
> will go away...
> >>

> > Is lilo needed at all if I use grub?  If not, then
> both grub and lilo
> > should provide "bootloader" and basesystem should
> require bootloader and
> > not lilo and/or grub.
> >
> > Alexander Skwar
> >

> Ummm, and economics rears its ugly head....
>
> You see, if you do a --whatprovides query, you
> should get a unique
> answer in mdk.  Otherwise it is a nightmare when a
> tarball changes--have
> to repackage all of them that provide it, and the
> distro gets _really_
> bloated in terms of install CDs.

So, this could be like the printer thing in DrakX that
installs something if you need it when you configure a
printer.  Don't install LILO or grub during the
package install, during the bootloader config, ask the
user to pick a bootloader (in Recommended just use
LILO and don't ask), and then install it.

> In fact I wrote a tarball sweeper to check that
> tar.bz2's are not
> duplicated with a few exceptions in the distro.
> (Like ALSA in several
> kernels).

Did it pick up kernel-headers being in glibc?  Now you
people have to waste your time repackaging glibc every
time you change the kernel.  Also, now we can't
recompile your glibc SRPM against our own kernel headers.