Thanks Ben. Does this mean that the actual driver for the adapter is already
there someplace? With 8.1 pcmcia sees it, but doesn't have a suitable driver
for the card.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Reser [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 11:02 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Cooker] Wireless Network Support in 8.2?

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 10:35:57PM -0500, John LeMay wrote:
> Will there be support for wireless network adapters built into 8.2?
> This has to be my biggest complaint about recent linux distros. I
> would like nothing more than for my 3Com wireless nic to be found and
> configured upon installation of LM.

Well it won't find it and configure it but it's really easy to configure.
Just load pcmcia (the drivers ought to be there).  Identify the name of the
interface.  E.G. eth1.  Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
Put something like this in it.

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.255.240
ONBOOT=yes
WIRELESS_ESSID=<replace with essid>
WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=s:<replace with your password>

Ohh and make sure you have the wireless-tools package installed. Now you
should be able to just ifup the interface and off you go.

--
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://ben.reser.org

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or
the holy name of liberty and democracy? - Ghandi