Both in the current updates for 8.1, and in Cooker, ~username URLs don't
work.  As displayed by /var/log/httpd/error_log:

[Sun Feb  3 01:30:50 2002] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist:
/var/www/html/~walser/

You get a 404:
Not Found The requested URL /~walser/ was not found on this server.

I looked through the configuration files, and couldn't find anything
nefarious regarding this problem.

I did find -Indexes in places, which is the cause of a permissions problem on
directory listings.  From the comments it was done in the name of "security"
but all it really manages to do is be annoying.

Anyway, hopefully this will get fixed too.