On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 04:58, Pixel wrote:
> Bryan Paxton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 04:20, Pixel wrote:
> > > Bryan Paxton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > >
> > > AFAIK, there's not much difference between level 2 and 3 with current msec.
> > > The major differences:
> > > - X port 6000 is closed in level 3 (and i won't accept a default install which
> > > breaks xhost +foobox)
> > That's highly insecure (DoS attacks mostly).
>
> IMO this is availability, not security.

Not fun when your box locks up : )

> > > - ssh-server allows login as root in level 2
> > HIGHLY insecure... Allowing remote root login on any service is BAD BAD
> > BAD.
>
> As for me, i don't care. This could be changed.
>
> [...]
>
> > -/etc/rc.d/init.d/*                             root.root 744
> > +/etc/rc.d/init.d/*                             root.root 700
>
> really annoying. Security via obscurity. It also means you have to use root
> more often.

Hmmmm, you usually have to be root to exec the scripts in there anyway?
But for the sake of argument, s/700/711/ or s/700/751/

> [...]
>
> > -/home/*                                                current 755
> > +/home/*                                                current 711
>
> that is friendly :-(
> i hate it

You like it when anyone on the system can browse your $HOME ? : )
Or did you mean you don't like it when anyone on your system can browse
your $HOME?

> > -AllowAutologin
>
> of course, this is not acceptable.
>
> [...]

: )

> > umask defaults
>
> umask doesn't seem to be changed.

Slip up on my reading! : )

> > And the security checks
>
> beurk. Any rootkit can see cron-based checks and disable them...

Of course, but the point is simply defaults secure (or quasi-secure)
defaults.

--
Bryan Paxton
Public PGP key: http://www.deadhorse.net/bpaxton.gpg

"Winning gives birth to hostility. Losing, one lies down in pain. The
calmed
lie down with ease, having set winning & losing aside."
Dhp. 201