Bryan Paxton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 04:20, Pixel wrote:
> > Bryan Paxton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > AFAIK, there's not much difference between level 2 and 3 with current msec.
> > The major differences:
> > - X port 6000 is closed in level 3 (and i won't accept a default install which
> > breaks xhost +foobox)
> That's highly insecure (DoS attacks mostly).

IMO this is availability, not security.

[...]

> > - ssh-server allows login as root in level 2
> HIGHLY insecure... Allowing remote root login on any service is BAD BAD
> BAD.

As for me, i don't care. This could be changed.

[...]

> -/etc/rc.d/init.d/*                             root.root 744
> +/etc/rc.d/init.d/*                             root.root 700

really annoying. Security via obscurity. It also means you have to use root
more often.

[...]

> -/home/*                                                current 755
> +/home/*                                                current 711

that is friendly :-(
i hate it

[...]

> -AllowAutologin

of course, this is not acceptable.

[...]

> umask defaults

umask doesn't seem to be changed.

> And the security checks

beurk. Any rootkit can see cron-based checks and disable them...