On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 08:17:45PM +0000, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> |   > absolutely necessary to have!
> |
> |   IIRC, It is non-free, unfortunately.
> |
> |   We all know that RAR is good but because of licensing issues we cannot do
> |   that.
> |

> ahh, I forgot to take a look at its license... sorry.
> Obviously, Windows users treat all shareware softtware as *free* - but of
> course you can't include most of it inlo LM.

yes, I am sure that many are aware here that in the windows world (in the
power users category) people are aware that RAR is a very good
compression algorithm. We also know that in windows people distribute stuff
using RAR, pr0nz and w4r3z most noticeably ... ;)

> [vadim@VPlessky windows]$ rar
>
> RAR 2.90    Copyright (c) 1993-2001 Eugene Roshal    7 Sep 2001
> Shareware version         Type RAR -? for help
>
> BTW: does it mean that PLD Linux is not so distinctive with licensing issues?

PLD is not any different -- a license is a license. Unless they have special
permission, in which case probably a new license would be in force, under
some special provisions.

        - G.