Why not have the program copy the /boot/config file
(which would be from currenly running kernel) to
/usr/src/linux/.config as part of  the kernel-source
install script. It would at least give a decent
.config as a default. It would also allow someone who
has reconfigured their kernel in the past to have
these changes automatically in the latest upgrade
(assuming they are running the created kernel at the
time of kernel-source upgrade.)

--- Borsenkow Andrej <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Вск, 2002-02-17 at 00:37, Michael Holt wrote:
> > Thursday... Borsenkow Andrej ran for the door
> shrieking:

> /usr/src/linux; no need to
> > >create
> > >>

> > >no. do not use this one. I hope to find time to
> send clean patch for
> > >kernel-source that finally removes it.
> > >
> > >Original config for running kernel is in
> /boot/config
> >
> > ???  I'm confused, why not use that .config?  I
> was under the impression
> > that this file was created when the system is
> installed?  When was this
> > file created?
> >

> You have 4 (four) different mdk kernels - plain,
> enterprise, secure,
> BOOT (there is also define for KERNEL_FB but I do
> not know what it is).
> You have just one kernel-source package. How can it
> fit into all three?
>
> kernel-source includes hand-tuned, special
> autoconf.h that is full of
>
> #ifdef __BOOT_KERNEL_SMP
> #define ...
> #endif
>
> that makes it possible to compile external modules
> automatically for
> your *running* kernel. You do not have the same in
> .config.
>
> Original config is shipped as part of kernel RPM and
> is installed into
> /boot/config-`uname -r` and /boot/config is link to
> config for currently
> running kernel (made on boot).
>
> I strongly believe that kernel-source should be
> delivered without
> .config to force proper (re-)configuration.
>
> -andrej

=====
SI Reasoning
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

A requirement of creativity is that it contributes to change.  Creativity keeps
the creator alive.

-FRANK HERBERT, unpublished notes