Hello everybody,

Need:
We need to setup a local Mandrake mirror (sorry, it can't be public).
Moreover, disk space is limited and we'd like to mirror both ISO images
and the "install by ftp" server (because we burn CDs of it from time to
time).

Constraint:
But having both a copy of the ISO images and the file tree means
duplicating the disk space (and network bandwith). We can't afford
having several distributions and their ISO counterparts on our disk.

Idea:
There must be some way to share both via ftp, without duplication on the
server disk space.

Question:

* Has anyone tried/succeeded ? Please explain how you did.

* Any ideas ? (Independently of what I've already tried, see below)

* 1st idea: mount all ISO images, use mount --bind to let Mandrake/RPMS2
and Mandrake/RPMS3 appear in the hierarchy of CD 1.

This means sharing the mounted ISO image of CD 1, then creating
Mandrake/RPMS2 and Mandrake/RPMS3

mount --bind helps, but only if the directory exists. But they don't
exist by default.

SUGGESTION to the Mandrake team: add two empty dirs RPMS2 and RPMS3 in
the Mandrake/ directory of CD 1.

.
|-- Boot
|-- Mandrake
|   |-- RPMS
|   |-- RPMS2  <<<--- empty dir, hook for mount --bind
|   |-- RPMS3  <<<--- empty dir, hook for mount --bind
|   |-- base
|   |-- mdkinst (...)
|   `-- share
|-- doc
|-- dosutils
|-- images
|-- misc
`-- tutorial

Then a simple shell-script calling mount would work fine. Like:
mount CD1.iso Release/ -o loop
mount CD2.iso CD2/ -o loop
mount CD3.iso CD3/ -o loop
mount --bind Release/Mandrake/RPMS2 CD2/Mandrake/RPMS2
mount --bind Release/Mandrake/RPMS3 CD3/Mandrake/RPMS3

Then the ISO images are available, and all the distribution is available
through Release/

Please tell me what you think.

* 2nd idea: use some not-well-documented features of mount (--bind
--replace --after --before --over).
I've tried variations like:
mount --bind --after CD2/ Release/
It failed. All I could obtain is the regular mount --bind effect.

Moreover, it seems that some ftp servers don't like crossing filesystem
boundaries. Has anyone light on this ?

Thanks!

Why:
(Why do this ? When a new Mandrake is released, the old one disappears
very soon from public mirrors, and we need to keep some "old" versions
for a while because migration is not straightforward, Mandrake upgrade
process needs rebooting the machine and is always flakey).

--
Stéphane Gourichon - Labo. d'Informatique de Paris 6 - AnimatLab
http://animatlab.lip6.fr - philo du dimanche http://amphi-gouri.org/

"Bonjour, je ne suis qu'une phrase entre guillemets dans une signature,
mais si vous me recopiez dans votre signature automatique d'e-mail,
alors je pourrai continuer à me reproduire comme un virus. Merci !"