On óÂÔ, 2002-02-23 at 14:38, Pixel wrote:
> Borsenkow Andrej <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I repeat - you must not create any device in /dev as long as we are
> > using devfs. To check for mounted devfs - [ -c /dev/.devfsd ] (or if you
> > see ide/... in /proc/partitions :-)
>
> Ok, i've fixed accordingly... but I hope it won't break a lot of things :-(

It will "break" partitioning of free disk. I.e. you won't be able to
format newly created partition without reboot.

I do not have free drive - could you test that after creating new
partition and doing blockdev --rereadpt devfs creates nodes for new
partition? In this case this problem is solved.

For busy disk (i.e. when you add partition for a disk that has some file
system mounted) I could not access newly created partition anyway, even
with manually created /dev/hdb8, without reboot. So it is not affected.

I do not know what happens when you remove partition - are nodes
properly unregistered by devfs? In this case running blockdev --rereadpt
would do the job as well.

-andrej