Jaz drive without media inserted. Before call to diskdrake:

{pts/2}% ll /dev/sda*
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           33 ζΕΧ 23 13:55 /dev/sda ->
scsi/host0/bus0/target4/lun0/disc

after call do diskdrake (just started, *nothing* else done!)

{pts/2}% ll /dev/sda*
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           33 ζΕΧ 23 13:58 /dev/sda ->
scsi/host0/bus0/target4/lun0/disc
brw-------    1 root     root       8,   4 ζΕΧ 23 13:58 /dev/sda4

Pixel, you MUST NOT MANUALLY CREATE ANY NODE in /dev in presence of
devfs/devfsd. The result of the above is that now devfsd never loads
modules needed to correctly access /dev/sda4. Also, permission
management no more works correctly.

The same applies to HD nodes. Start diskdrake, create partition, try to
format it. I tried it for hdb - diskdrake created /dev/hdb8 as *special
file*.

You should refuse formatting in this case. I tried blockdev --rereadpt
but that unfortunately does not work for busy device so there does not
seem to be any way to force driver to refresh partition table.

I repeat - you must not create any device in /dev as long as we are
using devfs. To check for mounted devfs - [ -c /dev/.devfsd ] (or if you
see ide/... in /proc/partitions :-)

With HD it is annoyance - with removables it is a serious bug.

-andrej