Le Mardi 26 Février 2002 10:59, Buchan Milne a écrit :
> SI Reasoning wrote:
> > --- SI Reasoning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>For some reason my/usr/share/config/kdm/Xservers and
> >>Xaccess are gone. I noticed this after a compile
> >>although I cannot imagine how it could be related
> >
> > as it turned out my /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc was
> > hosed. Unfortunately even kcontrol did not reset it up
> > properly. Fortunately I had another server that I
> > could pull the config files from to get it running
> > again. My /usr directory is using xfs and I suspect
> > that all of my laptop crash tests (trying to
> > suspend/resume) may be creating some file corruption.
> > I also had something like this happen to my kmailrc
> > file (but my /home directory is on reiserfs) Where it
> > looked like part of the autobookmarks or something
> > like that took over part of the kmailrc file.
> >
> > Is it really this easy to corrupt files using these
> > journaled file systems?
>
> I have lost kdm a number of times on different machines due to a power
> loss when running with XFS on a root partition. Easiest way to fix is
> was rpm -Uvh kdebase*.rpm --force
>
> But no, this shouldn't happen!
>
> Which FS were you using ?

This is happening, because there is no synchronisation between cache and disk.
So, if you want to have a clean installation of your softwares, do some
backups. Journalised FS are just made to be quicker to recover from a
whatever failure. Furthermore, the more momory you have, the more cache is
used (faster access to the data) but the most important loss you will have
from this type of failure. Hack : disable cache, but your system will become
so slow (and i even don't know it is is reasonalbe).
Stef