pascal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> If you or a system configuration application put a 'rw' option in /etc/fstab
> on the ROOT Filesystem '/' by mistake then you do a mkinitrd, then lilo
> then you are in big troubles at next boot with the logic in /etc/rc.sysinit
> because  at boot the ROOTFS is already mounted RW and Fsck cannot be done. It
> returns the error :
>
> " /dev/hda7 is mounted.  e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.
>       Failed to check filesystem. Do you want to repair the errors? (Y/N)
>                                        (beware, you can loose data)"
>
> and then you are trapped in an endless reboot cycle because sysinit will
> always ask to repair an error that does not exist ... :)

Yes, you're in trouble. The same as if you "dd if=/dev/zero
of=/dev/hda", etc. You can do a lot of bad things touching to
your system...

> The solutions are one or more of the following  :
>
> * dont let mkinitrd create initrd images with ROOTFS option rw in /etc/fstab
> by default and give an option to do it

I'm not gonna add a check for that situation, we'd need to add
another hundred of checks for errors that could happen with the
same frequency..

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://www.frozen-bubble.org/