On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 03:13:30PM -0800, garrick alleged:
> drakboot is taking a few minutes to start.  If mcc is in "Embedded
> Mode", then it times out.  The "Bootloader main options" window
> (accessible from clicking "Configure" in drakboot) is missing a window
> title and the Basic/Advanced doesn't work quite right.  The window warps
> to the center of your screen, and doesn't resize itself when you toggle
> to "Basic".

I just timed this at 2.5 minutes!!  That's too long!

The is that it's doing excessive NIS lookups.  When I stop ypbind, it
starts up just fine.  But if ypbind is running, strace shows a massive
number of NIS lookups.

It's doing yp lookups for every user in the passwd map.  It's taking so
long because my NIS domain has over 45000 users.  I know it's not an NIS
performance issue because every other test performs perfectly.