Todd Lyons wrote on Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 04:06:29PM -0800 :
> > Hi,  I have a major problem with Beta3 with my Compaq Smart Array raid
> I just tested Beta3 on a Compaq DL360.  It sees all partitions with no
> problems, so I can verify that.  Bonus, this machine used to have
> > At boot time,  it only mounts / and complain it can't find
> > /dev/ida/c0d0p6, 7, and 8.  A quick check of the /dev directory finds all
> > of these files.  mount -a will also report the same error.

If you repeat the mount -a a few times, you'll see that it slowly mounts
devices successfully one at a time.  This does you no good in emergency
recovery mode, though :(

> My test box currently only has 2 primary partitions and several LVM
> partitions.  I'll redo it with a lot of partitions and see if I can
> duplicate this.

Didn't need to do anything special.  It barfed on /dev/ida/c0d0p1, then
it barfed on /dev/ida/c0d0p2.  But it brought another problem to light.

LVM doesn't _appear_ to work on this card.  I can successfully configure
it during the install.  It formats all partitions.  It installs
successfully (I made /usr /var and /home on the LVM system as reiser,
ext3, and reiserfs).  When it reboots, /dev/big is never made.  It's
obvious to me that it may have just not gotten far enough into the
rc.sysinit to make the LVM device nodes that are necessary, but I
mentioned it to you guys because you know where to look better than I.

This also brings another possible problem to light.  If some idiot
decides to call his VG "tts" or "cdroms" or something similarly idiotic,
does this create problems?  I suppose the same problem existed if this
same idiot called his VG "modem".

Just thought I'd chime in and say that Compaq RAID may have some isues
that we need to deal with.

Blue skies...           Todd
--
               Todd Lyons -- MandrakeSoft, Inc.