On Mon Mar 04  9:38 -0700, Dean Brissinger wrote:
>       After doing my best to break the journaling file systems I have
> determined that XFS and ReiserFS are the two more reliable and fast
> solutions.  I corrupted both JFS and EXT3 to the point I could no longer
> boot.  My test was to bring the system down dirty repeatedly without
> performing a consistency check on boot.   In beta3 ReiserFS and XFS are
> more durable.  XFS is a pretty slow file system unless you're working
> with BIG files.  Reiser does better with lots of small files (a tad
> slower than ext3, but worth it).
>
>       I managed to ruin and XFS filesystem as shipped with 8.1.  The kernel
> patches from SGI are pretty good on a raw kernel or RedHat kernel (I
> haven't broken it in such cases).  I assume XFS has been upgraded in the
> 2.4.17+ mdk kernels (haven't looked).
>
>       Has anyone published current tests on the file systems on Linux for
> durability and speed?  My test is hardly comprehensive.

I seem to remember a post to Slashdot in the spring of 2001 that
benchmarked the different journaling fs's.  I think there's been at
least one Ask Slashdot on which one is the best, also.

--
Levi Ramsey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

When it comes down to desperation,
You make the best of your situation.
Linux 2.4.17-20mdk
  3:01pm  up 7 days, 43 min, 16 users,  load average: 0.23, 0.23, 0.26