Robert Fox wrote:
> Linux amda7v 2.4.18-4mdk #1 Tue Mar 5 05:58:26 CET 2002 i686 unknown
>
> Lates Cooker - fresh install - ide-scsi CD burner (was working up until
> now)
>
> I get an error when starting xcdroast as root - "failed to scan the
> SCSI-bus.  Either no permission to access the generic scsi devices or no
> SCSI support enabled in the kernel"
>
> As far as I can tell - there is support because harddrake reports
> /dev/scd0 exists and lsmod shows the necessary modules loaded (ide-scsi)
>

> I also get these console message too:
>
> [root@amda7v Cooker]# xcdroast
>
> ** WARNING **: Installation problem? No set-uid bit on /usr/bin/mkisofs
>

> ** WARNING **: Installation problem? No set-uid bit on /usr/bin/readcd
>

> ** WARNING **: Installation problem? No set-uid bit on /usr/bin/cdda2wav
>
> [root@amda7v Cooker]#
>
> Any help would be nice. . ..
>
> R.Fox

Binaries won't ship SUID root, and for this good reason, I am not going
to tell you how to enable it.

However, I notice there is a group called cdwriter. If CDRW's were
mounted with GID cdwriter by default, then probably they don't even need
to be SUID root, and the messages could be disabled in Mandrake via a
patch. To use the CDRW your user would have to be in group cdwriter.

--
Sincerely,

David Walluck
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>