hmmmm I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 with ATI M4 and this
works for me, I even unplugged/replugged in the power
to confirm.

I wonder if there is something in the bios. Can you
get to the bios with Fn + F1 without issue?
If so I have suspend and S2D timeout disabled and
Display Close active. If your system locks up or
reboots when you try to go to bios...then it screams
APIC issue, but like I said the noapic works for me
and as far as I could tell your lilo looks correct.

If your system does lock up or reboot after trying to
go to the bios from within linux, then I would
recommend compiling the kernel without apic. Check the
archives using APIC as the keyword for some
instructions on how to do this

http://www.mail-archive.com/cooker@linux-mandrake.com/