I had similar problems on 8.2RC1 and found the following by running
squidGuard on testfiles.

 squidGuard -c /etc/squid/squidGuard.conf <test.pass

1) The logdir directive
logdir /var/log/squidGuard
wants to create
/var/log/squidGuard/log/squidGuard.log
2002-03-11 15:07:01 [8237] squidGuard: can't write to logfile
/var/log/squidGuard/log/squidGuard.log

When I created that subdirectory squidGuard would log.

2) an empty rewrite section would cause errors. When commented out
#rewrite  {}
squidGuard would initialize normally
2002-03-11 15:07:01 [8237] parse error in configfile
/etc/squid/squidGuard.conf line 148
had the empty rewrite

Restarting squid - blocking started to work.

The cgi-scripts generate unsuitable output but the system dows block.

Tons more testing to do before this looks serviceable but I am encouraged.

Jim Tarvid