On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 11:16:13AM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I would be willing to package for instance freetype2.0.9 and maybe other
> things for the mdk club. The packages do not need good QA at all because
> users will accept they are downloading unstable things. Look at the amount
> of downloads from texstars site.

It's on thing to download software that ends up being buggy from a free
website.  However, as soon as you put something behind an area that
someone has to pay for it, whether that is in a box set or on a website
that you have to pay to join, people will expect some degree of quality.

And I can just imagine the flame fest that would go on if people started
having big problems with rpms they downloaded from the club.  Where they
are under the impression they are paying for them.

Finally, I'm not sure that would completely compatible with the GPL.  In
order to comply with the GPL Mandrake has to publish any source changes
(patches) they make to the entire world.  KDE always requires souce
changes for Mandrake due to it's different menu system.  As a result
they would have to publish the SRPMS for everyone anyway.  So what's the
extra if you can just download the SRPM and rebuild it vs being able to
get a binary rpm?  While it would make it easier it would significantly
decrease the value of the "extra" if it wasn't "exclusive".

--
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://ben.reser.org

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty and democracy? - Ghandi