[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>civileme wrote on Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 11:52:45AM -0900 :
>>=20
>> And of course if a user has an ntfs filesystem up, diskdrake will not=20
>> shrink the partition to make room for Mandrake, so there will be some=20
>> problems, but so far all the computers shipped with XP installed, which=
>=20
>> I have seen, are using FAT32.
>Almost all for me as well.  However, I did come across one brand new
>Sony laptop with XP on it that was NTFS.  It was odd though.  It has a
>20 Gig HD, and there were two NTFS partitions, each 10 Gig.  Everything
>was installed on the first partition, so adding Linux was as simple as
>blowing away the unused NFTS partition.  Weird.

I don't beleive it, there is an OEM shipping Windows with a decent partitioning
scheme!! We actually wipe the windows shipped with the machines we buy, and have
them setup in much the same fashion (except, we are starting to leave space for
Mandrake ... and even install it on some).

Trust me, doing a 50/50 partitioning and having system on the first, data on the 2nd
is always a good idea when running windows. Because you are going to need to
reinstall it. And then it is safest to be able to wipe the system and reinstall,
knowing your data is safe. Like having a seperate /home (which most people probably
do).