hello

my friend asked me about permissions in /dev/pts/* devices, and when i
played with this, i found some inconsistency in default configuration..

after default install, always in /etc/fstab is these records:
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)

now, if i logged as user "abc" via local console, my terminal device have
permission: abc.abc 620, exactly as say /etc/fstab and settings in
/etc/devfsd.conf is unapplyed. ok..

i want change group ownership in this device, what i doing? edit
/etc/devfsd.conf (because i use devfsd) and hmmm.. here are these lines:
REGISTER        ^pty/s.*        PERMISSIONS     -1.tty  0600
REGISTER        ^pts/.*         PERMISSIONS     -1.tty  0600

hmhm.. i forget, /etc/fstab has record for this, and i must add gid
options, or uncoment this and use true devfsd funcionality....

.. but, this is not some schyzophrenic??

my suggestion, if used devfsd can't mount /dev/pts as devpts
filesystem.. but, maybe i'm wrong and this part is unintelligible for
me:)

p.s.: off course, sorry for my english, but i believe if this
information was useful..
--
Linux 2.4.19-pre4-jam2
Mandrake Linux release 8.3 (Cooker) for i586