xbindkeys works great for me.  I think its a better solution just on the
basis that its versatile, and isn't
limited to the 'extra' keys.  I.e. you can bind arbitrary commands to
the multimedia keys, and "ctrl+alt+x",
etc....

It lacks cute knowlege of the different keyboard types and enumerations
of their special keys.  But it works
just great if you create a new entry, click capture, hit your special
key of choice, name it, then specify a
command line.

It is also a fairly mature package (been cranking out new releases
regularly for over a year).

The only downside I've noticed, is that compared to the hotkeys(tm)
package (which is also 'mostly' limited to
multimedia keys), that xbindkeys does not work when X is in fullscreen
DGA mode (xmame fullscreen).  Somehow
hotkeys(tm) worked for me even then.

-dmc