Can you mount /usr as ro and /usr/share (or as far down the /usr/share
path you list as you feel necessary) as rw?  I would assume that entails
two exports entries as opposed to the current one for all of /usr.
Seems like that shouldn't be a real problem since you want update-menus
to work and make adjustments across all systems from the one you're
running it on.