Felix Miata wrote:

> W2K and OS/2 Warp 4.5 work fine on this machine, but 8.2 PowerPack and
> 8.2 download editions wouldn't install with this hardware configuration
> either:

> Tyan 1846 Tsunami Intel 440BX chipset motherboard w/ AMI BIOS
> 768 Mb SDRAM
> P3-450 CPU
> hda 80 Gb
> hdc 30 Gb
> LSI 53c875 HBA (SYM8751SP)
> Pioneer DVD on SCSI ID 1
> Yamaha CD-RW on SCSI ID 6
> ATI Rage Pro 8 Mb AGP

Errata: video is Matrox G450

> 1.44 floppy
> Yamaha 744 sound
> 3COM 3C905-TX NIC
> Logitech optical PS/2 mouse

> All partitions were prepared in advance using a combination of OS/2
> tools and Partition Magic 5 (like I do for all installs) hda5 on /boot,
> hda8 on /, hda9 on /home, and hdc6 on swap. Last partitions hda15 &
> hdc6.

> 1-9.0 CD wouldn't boot until I set BIOS HD's to NONE (not a problem in 8.2)
> 2-Screen following F1 key was solid off-white with no text or messages
> of any kind. I typed in 'vgalo expert' anyway and eventually install
> proceeded to ask for additional modules, etc (not a problem in 8.2)
> 3-VERSION FILE MISSING (same message as in 8.2)
> 4-Install halted at package selection "an error occurred: missing
> basesystem package" (same message as in 8.2)

> 5-Selected messages from the (9.0) consoles:
> a-unknown package libsafe
> b-warning: bad magic number on disk hda at
> /usr/bin/perl-install/partition_table/empty.pm line 29
> c-warning: bad magic number on disk hdc at
> /usr/bin/perl-install/partition_table/empty.pm line 29
> d-Gdk-WARNING **: local not supported C library at
> /usr/bin/perl-install/ugtk.pm line 143
> e-unable to open rpm database, using empty rpmdb emulation
> f-unknown package 'basesystem'
> g-warning: missing basesystem package at
> /usr/bin/perl-install/install_any.pm line 314

> h-<4> sym0:1: ERROR (a0:0) (8-0-0) (8/35/0) @ (mem febbc1b0:febbc1b0)
> i-<4> sym0: regdump: da 00 00 35 47 08 01 0f 00 08 00 00 80 00 00 0f 02
> ff e0 b3 2e 02 ff ff ff
> j-<4>sym0: PCI STATUS = 0x2000
> k-<4> I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 1239700

> I did eventually get 8.2 to install prior to trying 9.0B2, but only
> after giving up on SYM SCSI support and installing an ATAPI on hdd just
> to get 8.2 installed. After finishing the 8.2 install, I removed hdd.
> Never could make KUDZU work, crashing on each boot without detecting and
> configuring the SYM SCSI support.

Progress so far: none, even trying Mandrake 7.1.

Obviously Mandrake does not like this combination, and it isn't just
this distro, as 7.1, 8.2 & 9.0B2 all have similar failures. This must be
some kind of SCSI issue I don't know what to do about, since swapping
ATAPI in does get it abortively installed. This is very sad, since this
is all totally common hardware, all more than two years old, except the
big disks and the Yamaha SCSI CD-RW.

It took me less than 30 minutes without a burp to install Caldera
OpenLinux Workstation 3.1.1 on this box. So far, everything I tried in
Caldera works. Unfortunately, Caldera is no solution. This is my
sister's box, and she wants to use what I'm using, and that means
Mandrake, whatever version.

Surely I'm not the only one wanting to install 53c875 with Intel BX.
What's the problem here? Too much RAM? Bad BIOS? Too many partitions?
Defective Sym/LSI SCSI modules?
--
". . . we live in an age of paper religion. We believe more in issuing
paper pronouncements on all subjects than in living our faith. The paper

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.members.atlantic.net/