On Wednesday 14 August 2002 06:47 pm, Igor Izyumin wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 August 2002 02:01 pm, Gary Greene wrote:
> > Personally, I liked it much more than the new bootsplash system. Sure it
> > had some issues (specifically when harddrake and kudzu would find changes
> > in the hardware installed) but over all I found it to be more
> > asthetically pleasing than a console window in a box-window.
>
> The console-in-a-box window is fine.  This is not windows, you don't reboot
> every 15 minutes, so I don't think it's important how it looks.  It also
> causes much fewer problems than Aurora does: fsck, kudzu, and other
> unforseen problems don't cause it to crash.

I very much disagree with that. The one thing that Aurora did well was
obfuscating the start scripts from the user. MS Windows splash screen is
simple for a reason: the common joe user doesn't care that a certain
subsystem is loading or not. all they care is that it works. If fsck, kudzu,
and harddrake don't know how to behave with the it, find a workaround for
them. And saying that we shouldn't care about the startup's appearance, then
we've religated Linux only to the technological geeks. We should always make
sure that the first thing that they see will inspire confidence that this is
a polished and professional product.

--
Gary

Sent from seele.gvsu.edu
  8:33pm  up 15:29,  3 users,  load average: 0.59, 0.47, 0.43

Founder GVLUG.
Chief Systems Architect, S4, Inc. - OS Department.
 -=<http://s4llc.tabris.net/linux/>=-
Project Lead for the Sentinel Linux OS Project (KOMODO)
Chairman and Project Lead of the E-media Committee of AltReal.
PHONE : 331-0542
EMAIL : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--changing the code of the Virtual Human Brain FS Driver...
Mounting /dev/brain0 is still causing problems...

Here's the error:

#mounting local filesystems........................................[   OK   ]
#Virtual Human Brain Driver v0.0.5 (EXPERIMENTAL) R/W fs module
#Virtual Nerve Node Driver v0.4.1 (EXPERIMENTAL) R/W FS module
#Insmod Adaptive Technology Device module..........................[   OK   ]
#Writing Sync state to Journalled VHBFS............................[   OK   ]

Kernel Sys Oops...... Flushing registers...... Back-trace follows......