> One of the biggest problems hitting the Linux world is the failure
> of people to understand the different approach taken by Unix systems
> to solving problems.

Aye, and different approaches are very good.
> The arguments about Aurora / OSS / ALSA are the same,
> people are trying to restrict choice.
>
> I can't stand Aurora (personally) but I can quite
> happily accept that it is probably useful for some
> people out there.
>
> I fully accept that the 'beginner' install needs to
> make most of the choices for the end user, and that
> the expert install needs to allow people to
> thrash the hell out of their machine - but maybe
> it's time for an 'intermediate' install.
>

>From my perspective (and only mine, mind you), it's a matter of what works,
and what doesn't.. Sure, I love being able to tweak my settings (who
doesn't), but I don't like having to go through everywhere to do so.
As a side note, the recent problems I'd been having appear to be with an old
driver (OSS), which I'd never seen give me any problem until recently. Why
the sudden change? I don't know. I just know that at setup it did NOT work,
and it was quite annoying.

As far as the rest, sound choices and all. Perhaps, adding something to the
sound card section in harddrake:

What sound driver do you wish to use? (if driver is available to card, then
list drivers and a minor text blob). This way, EVERYONE can be happy, and use
their drivers rather easily.

Personally, I'm still boggled as to WHY oss works perfectly with artsd and
Alsa doesn't, but hell, as long as it works, then all's well  in that matter.

I agree that the install should choose the best choice (as long as the install
is regular/newbie, and not advanced), but sometimes, the best choice doesn't
exactly work (again, take my case for example.. Somehow, the drivers were
shot).

Just my 0.02 however