On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 12:00:32 +0100
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It seems to have failed to run mkinitd, as looking in /boot now there
> are no files for the 2.4.19 kernel.
>
> Needless to say the machine doesn't boot now.

should still be able to boot with your 8.2 kernel or floppy.

I ran into the same upgrading 2 slightly behind cooker systems to B4.
The 2.4.19-5 kernel is installed but no initrd image is created and the
2.4.19-5 entry in lilo.conf is filled with garbage such as the ram disk
size in the append line.

For me the simplest way to fix the problem was to boot the system with
an old kernel. Delete the 2.4.19-5 entry in lilo.conf.
rpm -e kernel-2.4.19-5
Manually install the kernel-2.4.19-5 from cd1 (an initrd image Is
created) Run lilo
Edit lilo.conf, making 2419-5 the default.
Reboot system.
2419-5 now boots happily.

    Charles